The History of the Elva Lodge Hotel
The Elva Lodge Hotel was built in 1902. A private Edwardian house, its first occupant was Henry Newton Clare who resided here until the end of the First World War.
In the 1920’s it was purchased by Dr Eric Reginald Delma Maconachie M.D, it was the doctor’s house and surgery. His university picture still hangs in the conference room.
During World War II Elva Lodge Hotel was a distribution point for Evacuee children from London. Shoe marks on the parquet floor in the bar can still be seen.
In 1963 it became the Lion family home. In 1973 Aubrey Lion and his wife, Doris, embarked on turning it into a hotel. It is the oldest private family run hotel in Maidenhead. Doris’ father, “Charles of the Thames” was also a tenant of the Thames Hotel Maidenhead in the 1940’s.
There is a strong rowing theme in the restaurant illustrating the family’s long standing involvement in the sport. Aubrey Lion stroked the winning Maidenhead Wyfold crew in the 1939 Centenary Regatta at Henley. His son, Paul, won the Silver Jubilee Home Counties Single Sculls Championships for England in 1977 and went on to represent Great Britain at the Junior World Championships. His daughter-in-law, Laura, represented Great Britain as a Junior in 1979 and a Senior in the 1984 World Lightweight Championships in Montreal, Canada.
Paul can claim to have beaten Sir Steve Redgrave, the five times Olympic Gold Medal Winner, in a single sculling race when Steve was just embarking on his rowing career. They have since become close friends and we are proud to display Steve’s pictures around the bar.